Better Barrett Monopod



I bought the Barrett monopod for my M99, but I was disappointed that there was no fine adjustment on it, all you had were multiple indents to tighten the set screw into, which were ok, but did not allow for fine adjustments and accurate shots. A slightly lesser concern is that it did not fit in the case with the monopod on, which I could have lived with, if it had a fine adjustment. All the stock one needed, was to have the bottom rubber mount connected to a bolt to allow an inch or so of adjustment by turning the rubber piece, I could have lived with that.


click to enlarge

Since I was making one, I went ahead and made one fit in the case also. I started with universal fence clamp, cut it down for the male and female parts of the threads, as well as the knob. I took some 3/8 steel rod ground an area flat, and started to drill a few small holes for the set screw to bite into for the course adjustments. Then jb weld the rod into part of the fence clamp I cut off (I may pin this or drill and tap a set screw in this if the jb weld ever gives me problems). I started with just the knob and the threaded rod and had an adjustable monopod that also fit into the case. When screwed all the way in, it fits into the case, and when backed all the way out, is still as long as the stock monopod, so you give up nothing.

Fence clamp I started with:
Bench Dog Tools 10-038 Universal Fence Clamp


click to enlarge

I took this to the range, and while it did work well, there was room for improvement. When I was adjusting the knob for height, it was walking on the edges of the knob moving the end of the rifle left and right. Having a knob with a center that dished out instead of mine which dishes in may have been enough to fix this, but I wanted something even nicer, so I added a sealed bearing. Now with a rubber table leg foot cover, 2 drilled out washers, 3/8 bolt with the head ground down a lot, and the other knob (drilled out, and a nut heated and melted into the knob) I can turn the knob to adjust the height smoothly, and the rubber foot stays put.

The parts I used:
6000-2RS Bearing 10x26x8 Sealed Ball Bearings

Jocon SF9001 Rubber Leg Tips Shelf End Cap Tips 1 inch (1'' Dia, 8 PCS, Black)

All the parts for the adjustment from the top down:
Adjustment knob, drilled out, and nut melted into the center
3/8 bolt with head ground down
10mmx26mmx8mm Sealed Ball Bearings
2 washers drilled out, so the head of the 3/8 bolt will fit inside and spin freely
1 rubber leg tip


click to enlarge

Washers in the rubber leg tip


click to enlarge

The assembly going together


click to enlarge

From left to right:
The simple adjustment knob
The new assembled unit with the ball bearing adjustment knob
Stock monopod


click to enlarge

The new one just fits in the case:


click to enlarge